Saturday, December 29, 2007

Do not be easily entangled

Remember the phone order thing I still won’t mention from 11-10-07 because I don’t want you to patronize their company? Well, it happened again with a different company, and this was even more excruciating than the last. I desired (operative word—this wasn’t a need) a special Christmas CD so I can listen to Christmas music driving to and from work, and since guests are visiting over the holidays. I had to listen to 20 minutes’ worth of solicitations for items I was not interested in; and couldn’t just hang up because my order was not confirmed. Further, because I opted out/declined allowing 3rd party entities from “hitting up” my credit card with their offers, the item I originally called about which was advertised at 9.99 jumped up to $14.99. That’s it! I’m done with phone-in, talk-only-to-the-system orders. There’s actually a Bible verse that warns us: “…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” (Hebrews 12:1 NIV) I felt so entrapped, ensnared and entangled while making this call…much like a fly caught in a spider’s web.