Saturday, December 29, 2007

Assessing needs versus wants and desires – even in the midst of holiday shopping

While out last-minute Christmas Eve window shopping with my sister and niece, the only thing I really needed was a can opener. I found a pretty red one for $14.99, on sale (or so I thought) for 10 bucks. You see, I've had my can opener for as long as James and I have been married, but I must've laid it down somewhere and forgot it, after taking soup to work. Turns out, the can opener was 12 bucks, because the sale sign that I saw was for the Day-after-Christmas-early-bird-price. Hmmm--do I come back day after Christmas beginning at 6 a.m.? I pondered? Nope, my time and my sleep is valuable to me. My sister then turns to me and asks, "What do you need, want, or desire as a gift?" To which I responded that her and her daughter visiting us is more than enough, and that I'm very happy, grateful, and content. "Materially?" she prodded. I told her I didn't want to tell her stuff just for her to buy and waste her money on things I don't really need, and that the can opener I just bought is all the kitchen really needs. She then proceeded to pull out the 12 bucks to gift me for the can opener!