Saturday, November 10, 2007

Analogy between exercising and being financially astute

James and I scheduled our appointment with our Personal Trainer at the YMCA this evening (FREE service of our local Y), and something struck me like it never has before: As I was lamenting how we have not been back to the Y to workout since our first meeting a month ago, we began discussing strategies about how we can make it a priority amidst our busy schedules.

As he was describing how some members work-out 5, 6 a.m. in the morning, I just couldn't wrap my brain around it. What in the world motivates a person to workout on their own, especially so early in the morning? I looked around the gym, wondering why I don't have the same drive as the people working out, with sweat dripping off of them--including a senior citizen! Likewise, it occurred to me that when I am teaching about budgeting, being organized, watch your pocketbook, etc., it must be translating as gobbledegook to some. One may conversely ask, what motivates James and me to be meticulous in the area of finances? (You'd have to read "Our Story" in chapter 20 of my book.)

Anyway, our trainer is a rare gem: he and his wife carry no consumer debt, they pre-pay their mortgage, stick to their budget and pay cash, earn less than their friends who are struggling to keep up financially (some of those same friends make fun of them for being so frugal). And get this--much of their household furniture is furnished by garage sales...they just so happen to live in a nice area, so you can make out like a bandit from garage sales in nice areas.

Finally, I discreetly inquired: Do you feel like you've passed on these principles to your children? "Yes," he replied. So much so that the money they don't waste can be redirected towards buying something that their children truly desire, but the kids are disciplined enough to not beg for nonsensical things.

Here's an offer to consider: you hold me to exercising, and I'll hold you to sit down today and start thinking about how you and your loved ones are going to a) create your budget, b) become organized by creating a filing system, and c) avoid holiday debt, Deal?