Saturday, November 10, 2007

Marketing strategies to get us to buy more, more, more!

Went to fill-up gas in car. As if the price of gas alone isn’t high enough hovering nearly 3 bucks per gallon, there is a scrolling message on the gas tank inviting me to buy a cup of coffee or cappuccino for half price. Hmmm—hot beverage at the gas station is not less than $1.29. No thanks. I’ll get some for FREE in the kitchenette at my office.

Needed kitchen item not found in stores. Won’t mention name because don’t wish to advertise their business. Called toll-free # to order product. 18 minutes was nothing but advertisements to upgrade, add-on additional products, and listen to offers from merchants having absolutely nothing to do with the product I was calling about. It was sheer torture, but I kept declining the robot on the phone, which tried to respond as humanly as possible. My product did arrive, and I must’ve saved 30 bucks or more simply by declining their successive offers! As for those other merchant product offers trying to obtain my account # in order to autocharge with the option to cancel after 30 days? Forget it! Been there, done that. It took an inordinate amount of my time just to make sure I was 100% cancelled out.

Today someone needed something that I happened to have. I decline to mention details, but the main point is to be able to be in a position to help others. Conversely, others may have something that I need. There’s much more joy, peace, and satisfaction in giving than in receiving.